The Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (DHERST) in accordance with the Higher Education (General Provisions ) (Amended Act 2020, now invites application from suitably qualified and experienced persons for Membership to Governing Councils for Teachers and Technical Colleges in Papua New Guinea.
Balob Teachers College
Dauli Teachers College
Enga Teachers College
Gaulim Teachers College
Holy Trinity Teachers College
Madang Teachers College
Melanesian Nazreen Teachers College
Simbu Teachers College
Southern Highlands Teachers College
Reverent Maru Teachers College
Peters Chanel Teachers College
Port Moresby Technical College
Madang Technical College
Hagen Technical College
Goroka Technical College
PNG National Polytechnic Institute
Kokopo Business College
West New Britain Technical College
Highland Agriculture College
National Fisheries College
PNG Education Institute
Port Moresby Business College
Sacred Heart Teachers College
1: Statutory Basis
Section 143M of the Higher Education (General Provisions ) (Amended) Act 2020 establishes the Governing Councils for all registered Higher Education Institutions (HEIs ) in Papua New Guinea.
2: Membership of the Governing Councils
The membership of the Governing Councils stipulated in the Act requires different nominations from different sectors of society including the public. For Church agency institutions, the Agency is given the opportunity to nominate up to eight (8) nominees to be on the Governing Council.
3: Role of the Governing Councils.
- Determine the strategic vision and direction of the institutions and monitor performance.
- Provide oversight of the administration of the revenue, property and personnel of the institution.
- Formulate policies and guidelines for the effective management of the institution
- Consider matters referred to by the Academic Board
- Instill performance based culture that promotes an ethical disciplined and productive institution which delivers quality education.
- Approve Strategic Plan, Business Plan, Annual Audited Financial and Performance Report and the Budget of the institution for each financial year.
- Make rules of the institution.
4: Functions of the Higher Education Institutions
Higher Education Institutions have the following functions outlines in the Act:
- To provide facilities for study and education in all subjects and programs of study approved by the Council
- Award and confer certificate, diplomas, degrees and such other award as may be approved by Council with such awards to be signed by the Chair of the Council and the Principal
- Provide the Department (DHERST) with the names of all graduating students including awards to be offered
- To work closely with the Department to ensure all programs of study by the institution comply with National Standards and any approved curriculum or national training package.
- Develop affiliations with other education institutions to deliver additional courses and programs of study as approve by the Council
- To develop strong relationships with industry and business representatives, donors and potential corporate sponsors.
- Develop robust policies for the recognition of qualifications and attainment of learning from other educational institutions and the implementation of the National Standards.
Members of the Governing Councils will be paid fees and allowances under the Board (Fees and Allowances Act) 1955
6: Selection Criteria
An independent Selection Committee appointed by the DHERST Acting Secretary will assess eligible applicants against the following criteria:
- Applicant meets the requirements of Section 143O of the Higher Education (General Provisions) (Amended) Act 2020:
- Extend to which the applicant demonstrates in their application an understanding of the principles and practices of governance and management in higher education
- Extend of applicant’s relevant prior experience and expertise;
- Strength of endorsement of applicant form referees
- Extend to which the applicant contributes to balanced range of expertise or bring unique skills and experiences or to contributes to meeting the requirements and in respect of gender balance.
7: Application Process
Applications must include;
- A Cover Letter addressing the selection criteria
- A current detailed Curriculum Vitae with the names and contact details of three Referees who are contactable by email or telephone
- Fit and Proper Persons and Conflict of Interest Forms
Applications must be submitted through email and hand delivered to:
Dr. Franchis Hualupmomi , PhD
Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology
BOROKO, NCD 111
Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Attention To: Mr.Thimon Bune-Acting Deputy Secretary, Policy and Quality Assurance Wing and Chairman of Governance of TWG
Interested applicants must obtain an Application Pack from DHERST
Phone: 301 2056 | 301 7046 | 303 2061 or
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received no later than 4:06 pm, 13th September 2021
Late applications will not be considered.
Source: Public newspaper advertisement by DHERST on Friday Sept 3rd 2021