The University of Papua New Guinea (UPNG) wishes to inform the prospective applicants that the University’s Online Application System for receiving applications for Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs to be offered in 2021 Academic Year is now open and will close on Wednesday 30th of September 2020
The University will consider application from the following categories of candidates.
General Criteria of Non-School Leavers
- Candidates who have completed Diploma or Degree programs from recognized institutions within Papua New Guinea and or overseas.
- Candidates who have met the National Matriculation Requirements from recognized National High School and Secondary High Schools, or that equivalent level; prior to 2020
- Professional candidates who are applying for specific programs that are on offer, under professional study programs, and are related to their current job experience and description
- Candidates who have attained a Diploma from a recognized college or university under a program that is affiliated with UPNG.
- International and South Pacific Islanders may apply using this form. Admissions to UPNG will depend on fixed quota that is reserved for such a category, and
- Candidates who have withdrawn to have been excluded from studies for academic and disciplinary reasons and are eligible to re-enrol in Semester 1, 2021.
General Criteria for Overseas-Based, PNG School Leavers
Papua New Guinean citizens who will be completing Year 12 in overseas countries, such Australia, New Zealand, and the Pacific countries are encouraged to apply. If you have any doubts regarding this process, please seek assistance from the Selection Unit of the Department of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (DHERST) (dherst.gov.pg); Telephone: 301 2049. Students who are currently undertaking Grade 12 studies at National High Schools and Secondary High Schools in PNG should apply through the DHERST National Online Application System (NOAS).
Limitation of Admission
Because of limited number of places and resources, the University can only admit a set quota of new students into the Schools and the various programs of study. As a result, admission is very competitive, and priority is given to those applicants with higher GPA’s. Those applicants who are seeking admissions must fully satisfy the program selection criteria and requirements of the University.
Applicants are requested to take note of the following instructions.
- Pay a K20.00 fee for Undergraduate and Honours Program or a K50.00 fee for Masters and Ph.D. programs for all schools, except the School of Business and Public Policy. This is a non-refundable application processing fee payable to UPNG General Account No# 100583572 BSP Waigani, before applying online. Please indicate your name and correct date of deposit on the deposit slip when you pay your fee. Keep the receipt with you, as it may be required for future reference.
- Postgraduate Applicants for the School of Business and Public Policy (SBPP) programs must refer to the SBPP Postgraduate advertisement on the UPNG website (upng.ac.pg) for the application processing fee and eligibility criteria. Call Lisa-Marie on 3267299 for more information.
Before choosing your program, please go to your website upng.ac.pg and navigate through our admission and eligibility requirements for all of the University’s provided. This will clarify your eligibility for a particular program.
Online Application Steps.
- Pay the appropriate application fee at the BSP Bank
- You will need to be signed into a Gmail or Google Account to complete the application form.
- Go to the UPNG website upng.ac.pg and click on Admissions Menu, and select Undergraduate or Postgraduate.
- View Online Application Forms for 2021, and select the correct form according to your area of mode of study.
- Complete the form correctly and submit, and
- You will receive a copy of the Application From after you submit the form correctly.
- After submitting your application online, scan your documents, certificates, application fee receipts and other relevant documents, into a single compressed PDF file and send to: the school of your choice (see email address below). For example, if you have applied online for the Science Foundation Year, email your documents to the School of Natural and Physical Sciences email@example.com . Indicate and label the file appropriately under your name and the specific program for which you have applied before sending or emailing.
- School of Business and Public Policy : firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Natural & Physical Sciences : email@example.com
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences : firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Medicine & Health Sciences: email@example.com
- School of Law: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Successful candidates will be notified through email, and by post, by Mid-December 2020, together with successful 2020 School Leavers.
- If your name is not on the Final List, it means that your application for admission in 2021 has been unsuccessful.
- All information regarding 2021 Fees, Registration, and Orientation will be included in your Acceptance Letter.
- Manual applications which have no record of an online submission will not be considered.
Declaimer: This information is public information released UPNG and published in the Local News papers in PNG.