The Ministry of Higher Education Research Science and Technology (DHERST) is delighted to announce the successful implementation of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) 2020 inaugural installment loan to undergraduate students in registered and or recognized Higher Education Institutions (HEI’s).
Official Launched Of Higher Education Loan Program (HELP)
Following the official launching of the Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) by Prime Minister Hon.James Marape, MP and Minister for Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology Hon.Nick Kuman, MP on 15th of May 2020, the Department of Higher Education Research Science and Technology (DHERST) in collaboration continues to facilitate 2020 undergraduate student loan application.
Although, 50 HEi’s initially signed the HELP Institutional Agreement from to participate in the HELP 2020 cycle, 43 of these institutions committed student data officers to facilitate institutional student HELP applications. Furthermore 23 HEI campuses have been successful in printing student’s HELP credentials and in submitting HELP required documents by June 30th , 2020. The fundamental eligibility requirement for HELP is that students to be enrolled in a University or college that is registered and the academic programs they are studying have been reviewed and are accredited.
Help Applications Eligibility For Undergraduate Students
- Papua New Guinea citizen
- Applicant is a current enrolled student in a DHERST registered HEI
- Applicant is a current enrolled student in a DHERST recognised HEI provider.
- Applicant is undertaking an accredited academic program; and
- HEI has signed Higher Education Student Support Institutional Participation and Funding Agreement.
- Student has signed the HELP contract and agreed to its terms and conditions, and,
- Student has correctly submitted his/her HELP online application
Student Applicant Identification Requirements Include
- Student must have a HSC and school leaver from number.
- Student institutional identification card
- Student must have a National Identification Card
- Tax identification card number, and
- Evidence of SME participation by the student, sponsor or guarantor
Help Installments One Application Summary: Commencement Date: 15th May 2020
The HELP Installment 1 for the academic year 2020 closed on June 30th, 2020. Meanwhile, the second HELP installment 2 for the academic year 2020 commenced on July 1st 2020, at 12:01. Applications for the second installment closes on July 15th, 2020, at 11:59 pm.
The HELP is an initiative of the national Government of Papua New Guinea aiming to facilitate access to quality tertiary education. It aims to address the increasing number of students unable to access post-secondary education due to lack of financial resources. It will provide for all eligible higher education students an income contingent loan repayment commencing on productive employment. Program also embraces students who have not completed secondary status studies and wish to return to further their education in a registered HEI.
In 2021 onward, HELP will also be available for PhD, Masters and other Post Graduate programs, meeting the Government’s goal in providing a full range of quality education at post-secondary level supporting the achievement of Papua New Guinea’s social and economic goals.
The DHERST is firmly committed to working with HEI in the ongoing implementation of this high-impact GoPNG project in enabling equality of access to tertiary education as fundamental right and will ensure that no aspiring eligible post-secondary student is left behind.
Applications Received So Far For Installment 1
Stipulating from the Higher Education General Provisions Act 2014 and the HELP Handbook 2020, the HELP has attracted a total of 2,599 successful undergraduate student applications studying undertaking accredited and /or recognised programs in the country. Following the HEis submitted successful HELP applications for Kina 12,490,115.
HELP’s financial component of Installment 1 will be disbursed as a student-loan program, injected into registered HEIs to support student’s learning, teaching and research fees for the successful completion of the 2020 academic year.
Participating Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) In Installment 1
- Don Bosco Technical Institute-DBTI
- Divine Word University
- Enga School of Nursing
- Gaulim Teachers College
- Highlands Agriculture College
- International Training Instititute-Lae Campus
- International Training Instititute-Port Moresby Campus
- Lutheran School of Nursing
- Mount Hagen Technical College
- National Polytechnic Institute of PNG
- Pacific Adventist University
- Papua New Guinea University of Technology
- Papua New Guinea University of Technology-Bulolo Campus
- PNG University of Natural Resources and Environment
- Port Moresby Business College
- Port Moresby Technical College
- Sonoma Adventist College
- St.Peter Chanel Catholic College of Secondary Teacher Education
- University of Goroka
- University of Goroka-Enga Campus
- University of Papua New Guinea
- West New Britain School of Nursing
The Department will continue to work with other participating HEIs to facilitate and process undergraduate students application in the second HELP instalment. Student applications for the second instalments close on 15th July, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Supporting Partner Institutions
On behalf DHERST, I would like to take this opportunity to extend our gratitude to:
- Department of Finance
- Department of National Planning and Monitoring
- Department of Personnel Management
- Department of Treasury
- PNG Data Co Limited
- National Broadcasting Corporation
- FM 100
- PCG Academia
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Crea8tive Media
And participating higher education institutions
For their support, collegiality, and collaboration. We wish you many God’s blessings
Professor Fr.Jan Czuba
Secretary for DHERST
Declaimer: This article was the public media press release by DHERST on Monday 6th of July 2020